Friday, September 28, 2018

Student Teacher on Action

Hi, you. Yes, you. You are the one who is still loyal by reading my blog.

If in previous entry is about mentor, now it is about me who was in action. Was I nervous? Ha! Duh. Of course I was. Just imagine, you were being watched by forty sets of eyes and mindset you have to form in order to make them having open minded. I was more worried whether my purpose of teaching would not be understood by students. I was worried that I would be stuck and I could not speak at all. Oh, well.

Here are my pictures when I was teaching.










Teaching Procedure
And if your memory is still functioning well (because mine is not that good), there are 40 students in one class. Can you imagine teaching that many? I was teaching 40 teenager students whose attention still like to wander around in the imagination land. It was not easy to handle them, especially in dividing groups. The class was so noisy, sometimes you could not hear yourself talking.

In the beginning, I will  ask the students to play a little game for make them enjoy in the learning, and then I will review the lesson to make sure pupils understand. After that, I will give some motivation to pupils, like give them pictures or something interesting to make pupils curious. And after that teacher will do question-answering until pupils understand and they can guess topic of lesson. The pupils will not immediately be able to guess the topic of learning, so teacher should repeat the questions, but the questions should be from the others objects. After that, I will ask pupils to give some others example, if they can give others example it indicates that they have begun to understand. In the learning I will give rewards like give score, or say “very good” accourding to the situation. In the end of lesson, I give a worksheet as an evaluation. And sometimes, I give the students assignment for homework.

Time Management and Organizing Activities

When the class was noisy, I asked them for their attention. However, if that method was not working, I would be the one who was silent and watched them slowly understand the situation. It was amusing but also exasperating to experience. I choose former than latter, though.

My supervisors give me some tips how to control a class as follow:
1.      If there are pupils who are not paying attention teacher can:
·         give a question to certain students about the lesson today.
·         give them warning like when the teacher said “Hello”, the student should answer with “Hi” and so on.
·         stand in front of the students, so they will be more alert.
2.      When the teacher is writing on the board, teachers should not turn their backs on pupils, so that teachers can write while paying attention to pupils
3.      Write on the board should be fast
4.      Do not over give a score
5.      Rules write on the board is write start from the left to the right

Problem-solving
First time I’m teaching in the class, I'm very afraid because the students are very active, so I am afraid that I couldn’t make the students understand about the lesson when I teach. But, my supervisor very help me to solve my problem. He always guides me and I am very thankful because of that. Besides, I always believe to myself, because this is my choice to join the program. I am the one who has to finish what I start. And the hardest time for me is when first time I made Philippines lesson plan. Sometimes, I want to give up, but I just think that the important thing is how to make the students understand and they can got the knowledge and they could applied in their life.

Also, it is very recommended for the future SEA Teachers to move effectively as possible when you are sticking the manila paper or cartolina on the board. Because clock is ticking and you have to finish your material in time! This is very important.

Do always have a back-up plan in teaching. It was raining hard when I taught the last class that my voice could not be heard by students, hence their divided attention. So, I gave them exercise that was meant to be given near the ending of the lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment